Fire rips through Parke County home

Parke-County-Fire

PARKE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) – Family members say an overheated, fuel-powered air compressor was likely the cause of the fire that destroyed their home in rural Parke County Monday morning. The house is on Slab Road northwest of the town of Bellmore, IN.

Although three horses were lost in the fire that quickly spread from the shop to the family’s barn, all five family members, who are Amish, Amos and Mary Glick, and their three young children, made it out safely.

The house proved flimsy in the fire, and one fire lieutenant said the way the house was constructed actually worked against responding firefighters.

“These metal buildings, when they burn, it gets a lot of metal falling inside the home so we have some extra manpower to get that stuff out so we can get these hot spots out so we’re not back out here again,” said Lt. Jerry Mullis, with the Bellmore Fire Department.

“We toned (out) Rockville and also have Waveland (Community Volunteer Fire Department) now for manpower,” said Mullis, whose department was also assisted by Marshall Volunteer Fire and Parke County EMS.

Mullis added that the house was a total loss.

The real hero in the story might well be the family’s 4-year-old daughter, Emma, who ran down the road Monday morning – barely clothed – to her grandparents’ house to summon for help.

Since the Amish way of life shuns modern amenities, like electricity and a telephone, young Emma had little choice but to run roughly a-quarter mile down the road where her grandparents, also Amish, do at least have a telephone that was used to call emergency responders.

blog comments powered by Disqus