TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – Update: As of 3:45 p.m., local time, Vectren in Evansville said the gas leak that kept a Terre Haute neighborhood on notice for much of the day was repaired and all evacuees were returning home.
A private contractor is the one who smelled the strong odor of natural gas Thursday morning and called it in, according to a Vectren spokeswoman. She said the cause of that odor was a crack in a 4-inch, cast iron gas main under the street at the intersection of 16th and Crawford Streets. That spokesperson said a house at the corner of 16th and Crawford was evacuated, as were two additional houses, but only as a precaution.
“They beat on my door and told me to get out, the house might blow, might blow up,” said Melvin Carrico, one of those evacuated.
Asked what time that was, Carrico replied: “About 8:30 this morning!”
Asked if weather was to blame for the crack in the pipe, Vectren said it’s a real possibility but impossible to say for certain.
A gas leak at 16th and Crawford Streets has shut down several busy intersections and forced at least two homes to be evacuated.
A crew of at least 10 from Vectren has been working hard since this morning trying to find the source of the leak and how to fix it. So far, there’s been no official comment from the company Vectren.
Terre Haute firefighters are blocking off several intersections in the immediate area and have evacuated at least two homes until further notice.
Charlie’s restaurant and bar has so far not been evacuated and is open for business, even though the restaurant is located within the area sealed-off to motoring traffic.