Around 100 people displaced after University Apartments fire

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – While it was believed to be accidental, officials are still investigating the fire that started in the basement of Unit 4 University Apartments on Tuesday afternoon.

But, the initial cause has been linked to a lawn mower that was used earlier in the day and was then being serviced in a basement workshop.

The fire in Unit 4 caused about 100 students, relatives and guests to be relocated to Pickerl Hall on the main Indiana State campus.

Amanda Knerr, executive director of residential life and housing, stated the quick response and efforts of the Terre Haute Fire Department limited damage to the building.

“We also want to thank the Wabash Valley chapter of the American Red Cross for providing immediate assistance to residents of Unit 4 on Tuesday and to the Vigo County School Corp. which arranged for a special bus to pick up students this morning at Pickerl Hall,” she said.

The university is working with contractors to ensure that displaced residents can return to their regular campus homes as soon as possible.

blog comments powered by Disqus