Fire Chief: Two very fortunate after early morning fire


RILEY, Ind. (WTHI) – Firefighters responded to a house fire in Riley shortly after 2 a.m. on Tuesday. When they got there they found heavy fire billowing out of the windows.

Officials believe the fire originated in or around a window air conditioning unit in the now damaged area of the house.

Two people were sleeping in the area of the home where the fire started. There were two other people sleeping in the house as well. There were not any smoke alarms in area of the house where the fire started.

“Early detection is essential to save your life,” Riley Fire Chief Jeff Fox said. “You have to have these smoke alarms in and around sleeping areas.”

Fox said that it is important to have smoke alarms to alert you because in the event of a fire smoke and carbon monoxide will reach you before the fire does.

“These two individuals were very, very fortunate that we didn’t have a different result,” Fox said.

The Riley Fire Department offers free smoke detectors for residents and will come install them at no cost. You can reach the Riley Fire Department at (812) 894-3610.

blog comments powered by Disqus