Cause of death and name released in fatal Deming Center fire


TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – The cause of death in the fatal Deming Center fire has been released.

Carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death for William Sonnefield, 61, who was found late Thursday night.

Just before midnight on Thursday the Terre Haute Fire Department was called to the Deming Center, a low income housing facility located at 615 Cherry Street.

“It was a fire contained to one apartment. The fire basically burned itself out. There was one fatality in that apartment,” said Chief Jeff Fisher, with the Terre Haute Fire Department.

Vigo County Coroner, Doctor Susan Amos, told News 10 that a cigarette may be partially to blame. The preliminary report shows the victim may have been smoking in bed.

“Our investigation continues, to find out how exactly the fire started and how the victim passed away,” said Fisher.

The cause of the fire has not been determined and it is still an active investigation.

blog comments powered by Disqus