21 puppies exposed to virus, 2 die

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. (WISH) — Parvovirus was discovered in a number of puppies after a complaint of possible animal neglect.

In all, 21 puppies were found to be exposed to parvovirus, which can be deadly. Two had already died by the time animal experts arrived.

According to a news release from the Humane Society for Hamilton County, on Monday Indianapolis Animal Care and Control (IACC) went to investigate after receiving the complaint. Officials found the 21 puppies exposed to the virus and three that tested positive. They say the other 18 weren’t symptomatic but were expected to break out with the virus any day.

The owner of the home where the puppies were found chose to surrender all of the animals to the IACC for treatment or euthanasia, if that were necessary.

The IACC was already at full capacity and local rescue groups were unable to assist. Officials made contact with the Humane Society for Hamilton County where there was space. The humane society took 13 puppies and Lucky Pups Rescue took six.

The Humane Society for Hamilton County is accepting donations at its website to help with the treatment of the puppies. Foster families are also needed.

blog comments powered by Disqus