The best way to stay safe on wintry road conditions is to stay at home and minimize travel.
If you need to travel, drive very cautiously. Give yourself extra time to get to where you are going and make sure you completely remove snow from all windows and be sure to brush off the hood and roof to eliminate blowing snow.
Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) recommends extra care when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges, or shaded areas because of an increased danger of icy road conditions.
The Indiana State Police discourage tailgating and recommend maintaining at least two car lengths per 10 mph of speed.
ISP states abrupt movement should be avoided. Slow and steady acceleration prevents needless wheel spinning. Gentle braking will keep skidding to a minimum.
Cruise control should not be used on slick roads according to ISP.
If you become stuck, don’t panic. Use a cell phone to contact a tow truck or a relative or friend who can give assistance. It is extremely important to keep your exhaust pipe free of snow and ice to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. If possible, tie something brightly colored onto your antenna to signal for help.
If you have an accident and are injured, call 911 immediately. If you have an accident without any injuries during a major snow storm, it is very possible police officers will not be able to respond. If you can move your vehicle, Indiana State Police suggest first noting the nearest mile marker, intersection, overpass, bridge, or other clearly discernible landmark before moving your vehicle to a safe location. Police do not advise leaving vehicles in a roadway.
- INDOT Road Conditions phone line: 1-800-261-ROAD (7623)
- County Travel Status Map: Check the travel advisory level of your county. Advisory levels represent travel restrictions and driving conditions.
- Indiana Travel Conditions: This site displays real-time road restrictions, closures and conditions throughout Indiana.
- IL DOT Traveler Info: 1-800-452-4368
- Winter Road Conditions – Map, closures, and conditions
- Illinois Travel Conditions: This site displays real-time road restrictions, closures and conditions throughout Indiana.