Patient suffers serious burns after flatulence causes fire, hospital report says

r-hospital-bed-web_bkg_tex

(WFLA) – A Japanese hospital says a patient suffered serious burns during surgery because of a fart. The Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper, reports the patient farted during surgery, causing the fire.

The incident occurred April 15 at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku, according to The Asahi Shimbun. The patient, a woman in her 30s, was having a laser applied to her cervix during the surgery, the paper reports.

Hospital staff released a report on Friday saying it appears the woman passed gas, leading the laser to become ignited. The woman suffered serious burns to much of her body.